Dave,

The timeout (defaut 10s
https://apereo.github.io/cas/6.6.x/ticketing/Configuring-Ticket-Expiration-Policy.html#service-ticket-policies)
 is a trade off between user experience and security.

Ray

On Tue, 2022-11-08 at 12:32 -0800, Dave Steiner wrote:
Notice: This message was sent from outside the University of Victoria email
system. Please be cautious with links and sensitive information.

Generally we run are CAS/Hazelcast servers with the default value for
cas.ticket.st.time-to-kill-in-seconds (is that 5 seconds, can't seem to find
the default).  But several times a year the students go through web
registration and we get several thousand users logging in at once.  This tends
to cause issues and one of the things I wanted to try is increasing the time
that STs are valid so that users aren't timing out and just adding to the
problem.

So this morning we increased it to 30 seconds and things went much smoother.
Logins still took some time but I didn't see anyone having timeout or any other
kind of issues.

So I need the setting to be 30 seconds or so during these registration periods
but don't want to have to keep changing them back and forth.  Does anyone know
of any concerns of leaving this at 30 seconds?  The CAS Protocol docs mentions
under 5 minutes so I think we're good but we just want to make sure we're not
missing something.

thanks,
ds
Dave Steiner