You deciphered my unclear context perfectly. #{ null } is exactly what I
was looking for! In the meantime I discovered another solution for people
like me who have only one AuthenticationHandler:

        <constructor-arg index="0">
          <list
value-type="org.jasig.cas.authentication.AuthenticationHandler" >
            <ref local="ldapAuthenticationHandler"/>
          </list>
        </constructor-arg>

Aaron Spike

--
This electronic communication, including any attached documents, may
contain confidential and/or legally privileged information that is intended