This error message is caused by Java being unable to resolve the remote
SSL certificate.  In this instance, Java is the SSL *client*, trying to
connect to an SSL/TLS resource.

In my experience, this happens when CAS tries to contact a CAS client to
send a SLO (Single LogOut) request.  Was there a URL logged along with
this stack dump?  You may be able to find information in the CAS audit log
too.

        Andy