adding to adam's email:

all casper software, gateware, GPUware, tools, libraries, etc,  are free
and open source.

but you also need software from xilinx and from the mathworks to be able to
compile casper fpga code.

if you are at a university, you can likely get a donation of the xilinx
software
by filling out a donation request form at xilinx's university program web
site.

some universities have an arrangement with mathworks where matlab is free
for use at the university.
some universities have arranged discounts on matlab and simulink.

best wishes,

dan