Why not use the 1GbE port on the ROACH2? No need to go for 10GbE (SFP+) ports

On 08/10/2017 01:16 PM, Xavier Bosch wrote:
Hi,

As I explained in a previous email, I am looking for a way to send the slow-throughput ROACH2 data (~25 Mbps) to a PC without using the SPF+ ports on the PC side. Mobility is important for the project that I am working, so I want to be able to use any laptop for that purpose without the burden of having to have a 10 GeB SPF+ card

I first considered the 1 GbE but this implies a big reconfiguration of the design sine the outputs are 8 bit instead of 64 that the 10 GbE interface uses.

Have anyone tried to use a SPF+ to 1 GbE RJ45 connector like the ones in the attached picture?

I did some research and I found that the Quad SFP+ Mezzanine board uses the Vitesse VSC8488XJU chip which in theory should allow such connection, as you can see in this spec. sheet http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/523/microsemi_VSC8489-01_PB-883836.pdf

So far, I tested 2 different adapters at port 0 with no luck.
Does anyone know if this is possible?
Is the 1 GbE option enable in the mezzanine board?

Thank you,
XB
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "casper@lists.berkeley.edu" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to casper+unsubscr...@lists.berkeley.edu <mailto:casper+unsubscr...@lists.berkeley.edu>. To post to this group, send email to casper@lists.berkeley.edu <mailto:casper@lists.berkeley.edu>.

--

Ryan Monroe
PhD Student | Electrical Engineering