Is it true that it is no longer necessary to specify an initial token?
If so, how would you add a new node into a ring such that it guarantees
replicas are spread evenly across data centres?  Is this achieved simply
by starting a new node in the opposite DC and watching the log for the
message that it's receiving requests, before bootstrapping the next
node?  Or is it possible to bootstrap multiple nodes simultaneously
around the cluster and let Cassandra figure out the replica distribution
pattern?

I'm also curious about the distribution of keys across nodes.  The talk
I've seen discusses how replicas are distributed around the cluster but
since its the number of keys on a node that really governs its load,
assuming all keys are retrieved with equal frequency, does the load
balancer also function to redistribute keys amongst the nodes?

Robin.