On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:37:14 -0600 Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> You're probably right, though I don't see a better way and don't
TZ> understand what makes this one problematic.  I thought it would at least
TZ> let the cluster keep serving read requests while settling into a steady
TZ> state.

OK, let me restate the question, since I think I should be clear in what
I'm trying to accomplish.

I want a consistent backup.  Is following
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations (section "Backups")
sufficient?  Is there a danger that uncomitted data will not be
captured?  If so, what can I do (avoiding, if possible, a cluster
shutdown) to get a consistent view of the data?

I'm asking on the developer list to keep the thread in the same place
but this is probably a user-level question.

Ted