Count is always the max number of results to return.

So it means, starting with `start`, or the first one if start is
empty, go until you hit `finish` or `count`, whichever comes first.
Empty is not a legal column name so if finish is empty it is ignored
and only count is used.

We don't offer a numeric offset since that can't be supported
efficiently with a log-structured merge disk format.