things positive for solr.
- mature and stable
- lots of documentation
- a swiss army knife and can be used for a LOT of things, especially if you are
manipulating a lot of text.
- the query language is easier to use (imho.. but i've been using solr for
years, so I am biased)
- lots of people know it
- fast caching
- faceting

cons for solr.
- hard to update a single field (you need to fetch & re-insert the entire row)
- commits/optimizes can slow things down to a crawl
- can't store structured data easily. (for example a blog post has tags which
have both a key and a value).
- scalability isn't as easy as cassandra. sharding works, but it requires a lot
of manual effort
- it's easy to get started and get something running, but if you need to do
something out of the ordinary, it gets hard fast. I think cassandra is more
flexible to do ordinary things that don't involve text-matching.
- replication isn't instant. (this is changing.. also look at zoie which may
help).

of course, if you tell us what your trying to do, I can be more specific.
FWIW.. we use SOLR for some of our news-content (see love.com and
newsrunner.com) and it works fast enough for us.
We have a incoming doc rate of about 8-10 news articles/second.

--
Ian Holsman
i...@holsman.net