On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Sylvain Lebresne <sylv...@yakaz.com> wrote:
>>> If truncating old sstables entirely
>>> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-531) meets your
>>> needs, that is going to be less work and more performant.
>>
>> Well, I'm not sure I understand completely this ticket. The part in the
>> comment saying "drop all sstables older than X" seems to be something
>> helpful.
>> But aren't sstables regularly merged together, thus mixing "older" data with
>> newer data ?
>
> Right, that is why the ticket says you would want to disable
> compaction if you want to truncate less than the whole CF.

Indeed, make sense now. But disabling compaction would have
an impact both on the data size and on the read performance, right ?
I suppose that it would mostly be viable if you truncate often enough.
Do we have an idea of the kind of impact disabling compaction would
have ?

>> That is, is this 'truncate with a timestamp t' always remove *all* columns
>> with a timestamp older than t ?
>
> Yes.

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

--