> After I ran "nodeprobe compact" on node B its read latency went up to 150ms.
The compaction process can take a while to finish... in 0.5 you need to watch
the logs to figure out when it has actually finished, and then you should start
seeing the improvement in read latency.

> Is there any way to utilize all of the heap space to decrease the read
> latency?
In 0.5 you can adjust the number of keys that are cached by changing the
'KeysCachedFraction' parameter in your config file. In 0.6 you can additionally
cache rows. You don't want to use up all of the memory on your box for those
caches though: you'll want to leave at least 50% for your OS's disk cache,
which will store the full row content.