For Michael, I think raid5 is not a bad choice:
 - if you're going to have multiple TB of data, using JBOD gives a
pretty harsh limit to your compaction/anticompaction scenarios
 - he is concerned about his data set size, so so raid 1 or 10 "wastes" space
 - raid0 is potentially painful since you'd have to transfer a lot of
data to repair every time a single disk dies

-Jonathan