2010/3/3 Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com>:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 08:41:18 -0600 Gary Dusbabek <gdusba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> GD> It wouldn't be a lot work for you to write a mdns service that would
> GD> query the seeds for endpoints and publish it to interested clients.
> GD> It could go in contrib.
>
> This requires knowledge of the seeds so I need to at least look in
> storage-conf.xml to find them.  Are you saying there's no chance of
> Cassandra nodes (or just seeds) announcing themselves, even if it's
> optional behavior that's off by default?  If so I'll do the contrib mDNS
> service but it really seems like a backward way to do things.
>
> Ted

Nodes already announce themselves, only just to the cluster.  That's
what gossip is for.  I don't see the point of making the announcement
to the subnet at large.

The decision rests with the community.  Obviously, if there is enough
merit to this work, it will find its way into the codebase.  I just
think it falls into the realm of shiny-and-neat (mdns and automatic
discovery is cool) and not in the realm of pragmatic (not reliable
across subnets).

Gary.