Thanks for the pointer. Wanted to figure out if this is the real bottleneck as
there might be something else contributing to the low speed.
Let me explain our setup in more detail:

We are using cassandra to store about 700 million images. This includes image
metadata and the image (in binary format).
In the data folder, I see about 53,831 files in the data folder. There are also
about 3,940 files which have names like
imagestore-b-66171-Data.db
imagestore-b-66171-Filter.db

I assume the latter are the compacted files. This set of files is indeed
growing.

The problem is that one node is our cluster is 4.5TB full and we are trying to
load balance away from that node.
I moved this node to a larger hard disk and trying out the load balance, but it
is really slow.

When I do the load balancing, row mutations are taking place and compaction is
still continuing. The load balancing is happening at the rate of 10 MB per half
hour. I
suspect this is due to the compaction (and the anti-compaction).

Now for questions:
1. Is there a way to estimate the time it would take to compact this work load?
I hope the load balancing will be much faster after the compaction. Curious how
fast I can get the transfer once compaction is done.
2. Any way to make this faster? Is working on the above issue the lowest
hanging fruit or is there something else?

Thanks, Shiv