On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM, simon.reavely <simon.reav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a place on the Cassandra wiki where the proposals/thinking on these
> issues has been captured in one place?

The wiki is a terrible place for proposals.  Use the ML for those, and
use JIRA when you start to actually generate code.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580 is where Kelvin is
working on vector clock support, which will handle eventually
consistent increments.

There is also a zookeeper module in contrib/ that you can implement
atomic increment on top of.

> p.s. I don't want to go off on a tangent, but out of interest, given the
> original Dynamo article and comments in posts like
> this: http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2008/12/eventually_consistent.html,
> what makes you think SimpleDB is not based on Dynamo?

SimpleDB is key/row; dynamo is key/value.  SimpleDB is Erlang; dynamo
is Java.  SimpleDB has a limit of 10GB/domain; there would be no need
for such a low limit if it were based on Dynamo.

-Jonathan