I'm still wondering what happens when you have something like 2 500GB disks,
with 2 sstables which use up 25OGB, one on each disk, then a major compaction
occurs.  Will it still compact and probably fill up a disk (especially with
the 2x overhead of compaction mentioned either here or on the wiki)?

Seems like you basically could easily get into a situation where you can't
fix it without something like a volume manager, or a complete shutdown, move
data to bigger disk upgrade.

I guess one way might be to treat each disk as a separate node (ie, give
it some fraction of the keyspace based on its disk space), then when you
add a directory to the config you would have to load balance but only
within that node.  I'm sure that complicates ring maintenance but maybe
its a better experience, as the multiple data directories should all fill
uniformly?

Just some other thoughts.

-Anthony