On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 06:33 -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> My current suggestion is for them (well, me) to put all their content
> under subversion and bite the bullet and learn how to use the shell
> (ok, the Windows users can use TortoiseSVN). [1]

TortoiseSVN is pretty nice, and should be similar enough to FTP for them
to get it.  They will not be able to use it from internet cafes though.

> That would get them off ftp, and allow for a little better user and
> revision management, and also help with line endings.  File encoding
> is still an issue, although maybe a post-commit hook could try and
> detect and re-encode to utf-8.

Yes, all that could be dealt with.  I don't know if normal users will be
capable of understanding the concepts needed to roll back a change, so
problems will still come to you, but at least SVN gives you a way to fix
them.

> Any other suggestions other than subversion?

We use an actual CMS (Krang) to manage these assets for our clients,
because it gives more in the way of workflow support, searchable asset
library, previewing, and easy UI.  I think either TortoiseSVN or some
kind of WebDAV thing is your best bet without using a CMS.

> Another "deployment" question: I have a staging server (well, it's on
> the same machine) where they can view and test changes.  I'd like to
> have that server get automatically updated with changes quickly after
> checkins.   Any ideas other than having cron run svn update every few
> minutes (e.g.  perhaps a post-commit script)?

The post-commit script is the way to go I think.

- Perrin