On 21 Dec 2006, at 10:26, Rhett Creighton wrote:

I'm probably going to make a few vmware images for myself to use that will
be on the larger side (more than 300 MB compressed).

To give people an idea of the minimum possible filesize, here is a
standard install of ubuntu 6.10-server in a 63 MB package:
http://www.jcinacio.com/stuff/VMware-UbuntuServer-6.10/

The actual extracted size is 365MB.

I just took his image, installed cat-in-a-box, made a sample catalyst app,
ran the server, and used the app from another machine on the local
network. Without doing anything tricky, I simply zipped up that image and it came out to be 96 MB. If I used strong compression, it came out to 76 MB. However, I think stronger compression defeats the point of this being
a susposedly easy package to deploy.

I'll see if I can put together a nice ~150MB package. I don't know if the
catalyst site can host that, or wants to, but I'll send it to whoever
wants it.

I'd suggest using pimpmycat or a standard cat-install approach rather than catinabox; catinabox is really designed for compiler-challenged systems (i.e. windows :) whereas in ubuntu a usable build environment is one 'apt-get build-essential' away

--
Matt S Trout, Technical Director, Shadowcat Systems Ltd.
Offering custom development, consultancy and support contracts for Catalyst, DBIx::Class and BAST. Contact mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk for details. + Help us build a better perl ORM: http://dbix- class.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/ +