Jonathan Rockway wrote:
On Sunday 11 March 2007 21:18, Jeff Chimene wrote:
Jonathan Rockway wrote:
On Sunday 11 March 2007 20:59, Jeff Chimene wrote:
How does that differ from something that compares bytes sent to bytes
received? Assuming that the OP defines success when "bytes received =
bytes sent"
How do you determine how many bytes were received and successfully
written to disk?
There's also this:
http://ajaxpatterns.org/Progress_Indicator#What_sort_of_progress_indicato
r_will_you_use.3F

I think this thread has wandered a bit off topic.
That's hardly for you to decide, now is it?
We are talking about how to ensure that a user has reliably downloaded and is able to access (from his own machine) an mp3 file.
No, you are. The original question was "I need to figure out if a user aborted a longish download."
The answer is that you can't do that without asking the user :)
To that question, you are correct. But, that's not the question.
There are various compromises that you can make instead, including checking to see if the whole file at least made it out of your catalyst app (by having your filehandle monitor that for you). You can also give the user a good amount of time to download the file as many times as he likes (bandwidth is cheap), or you can have customer support allow the user to re-download if he complains (Apple does this).

You are free to ignore all of the above advice.  It isn't my problem.
Then why bother to reply?

Since we haven't heard from the OP. I have two questions:
o Did you investigate sendfile?
o Have you considered implementing a download progress indicator? One of the reasons users give up on downloads is that they don't know what's happening.