Perrin Harkins wrote:
On 4/12/07, Brian Kirkbride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Now I'd like to avoid tying up the heavy procs for slow uploads. Many suggest to run upload handlers as CGI rather than mod_perl because the 1s startup time is negligent compared to the time required to upload. I have tried this and it works, but it still creates a 60+ MB process to sit around for 2 minutes while a
dial up user uploads a huge image.

Yeah, I was reading that and thinking that you'll probably use more
memory for CGI, since you still have to run perl but you don't get any
copy-on-write benefit.  It could be offset by loading as few modules
as possible into the CGI, but that seems kind of ugly.

A better solution would be a proxy that buffers uploads.  I thought
mod_proxy would do this for you.  Are you certain that it doesn't?  If
so, take a look at the other proxy options out there.

- Perrin

Perrin,

It doesn't look like mod_proxy, which I am currently using, supports this. It looks like Perlbal does however. Any other suggestions? I'd like to avoid Squid as it would be overkill for this application.

Thanks!