Continuing saga. So I set up the many_to_many and lo! It worked. But it worked with *any* role, even fake ones, so obviously something was bad. Turned out that it was silently failing instead of throwing an access exception (but there was a template set by the namespace so the page rendered as expected).

  # failed silently (as far as Cat was concerned)
  $c->assert_user_roles("there is no role called this");

So, dug into the log:

[Sun Dec 16 16:13:20 2007] [error] [client 67.170.68.172] [warn] Store class "Catalyst::Authentication::Store::DBIx::Class" not found, trying deprecated ::Plugin:: style naming. , referer: [...]

Would love to have more, rather than fewer exceptions thrown. I think the missing class was the cause of a couple of red herrings I followed down the rabbit hole trying to get this running yesterday [I'm entitled to mix metaphors, I pay an annual fee]. After I get an admin to install the missing package in the morning I'll regale you with my next series of missteps and annoying language.

Live free or die early, die often,
-Ashley