On Feb 27, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Matt Knesi wrote:
I would like to implement a page navigation based on the first letter of the items, e.g. first letter of last names, so all last names with 'A' will display when you click on 'A' (instead of page 1) and all last names starting with 'M' appear when you click on 'M' and so on...

Only the initials that are actually present in the database should be displayed for paging navigation, so if there is NO last name starting with 'X', 'X' shouldn't show up in the navigation line.

I've done this with a dictionary application. You could do a relationship to a letter. So say name has_one letter, letter has_many names. Or what I've done a couple of times is make "letter" a field in the target table (word for me, name for you) and just keep the letter or "#" for a leading number/special and make it an index so it's fast to lookup.

-Ashley