On 12 Mar 2008, at 21:50, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:

After some more playing with CatalystX::CRUD I think I can formulate
my arguments a bit more clearly.

OK, bear in mind that you're competing with Reaction here. Reaction has some promise, but its development is slow so far (for casual users anyway), and it may suffer from some of the hyperverbosity and/ or (superficially) excessive indirection that is endemic in enterprise ready™ software. I'm not qualified to comment further on this.

I believe the objects that users of CatalystX::CRUD get in their
controller should be the real things - i.e. objects from their models
not CatalystX::CRUD::Model::Objects.  This would be the  minimal
interface and minimal hassle for injecting CatalystX::CRUD::Controller
actions to a legacy Catalyst controller.

What I particularly like about InstantCRUD is that everything is spelled out nicely for the coder once they run the helper. That is, mostly once you've been through the catalyst learning curve, the instantcrud learning curve isn't very much more at all. InstantCRUD's main problem is HTML::Widget, and secondarily the lack of many-to-many introspection. I'm not sure how big the problem with the tight coupling with DBIC is - I'd like to see a shitfight between merlyn and mst, with zby as mediator to straighten that one out. Or maybe between merlyn and zby with mst mediating ...

I think it would be best to be able to treat a CatalystX::CRUD application like any other catalyst application. That is, minimal modification of $c->model('Foo') compared to an ordinary catalyst app so that the CRUD generator mostly gets out of the way.

For bonus points I'd like to see a REST service available by default, with a browser based service available on top of this. This way we get the API for free and the browser UI gets to forward to the REST API (with suitable massaging of the stash).