On 30 Jul 2008, at 02:27, John Beppu wrote:

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:21 AM, Daniel McBrearty <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
my 0.05 (possibly a bit OT) :

Off-topic or not, I think these are interesting and valid questions.

I looked previously at a few ways of adding forums etc to the site
using 3rd party code, indeed there are many possibilites (some perl,
some not)

The thing that was always a sticker for me was getting some kind of
logical integration, ie:

1. letting users keep existing member and login creds

Now that composition and embedding of web apps is becoming a reality, we have to start anticipating needs like this. For example, the documentation for an app that's built to be embedded could state that:
It expects a user object to be in its session's "u" key.
The app will expect to be able to call the ->name method on this user object. (Some apps may want more... others less... this is just a hypothetical example.) If that key is undef, the app will assume the current session is not in a "logged in" state. I think being up-front about login policy would be enough to share users across multiple web apps joined together as one cohesive unit.

I dont. Lets take the example of embedding a forum. It will most likely store its data in a DB of its own design. It will also quite likely have its own user table, and have FKs referencing that table.... see the problem? There's more to sharing users than just logging.

I can't really see any way around that other than on a case-by-case basis sadly. Someone please feel free to correct me.

-ash