On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:40:13PM +0200, Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> >although it's not what you asked, i'll comment that i've had great luck
> >doing this the other way round: i write the classes (with a lot of help
> >from an emacs template*) and generate a DDL script from those.  in
> >addition to making table creation trivial, sqlt-diff produces scripts
> >which (usually) do a fine job of upgrading from one version to another.
> >
> >see create_ddl_dir() here: http://tinyurl.com/5vgwcj and sqlt-diff here:
> >http://tinyurl.com/6ql6wo for details.
> >
> >i'm much better at writing perl classes than DDL though, so it was
> >obvious that this was the right thing for me in a 50 table, 10 view
> >database.  no doubt your mileage will vary.
> >

> >k.
>
> This could be also a good solution, but unfortunately it gives so many
> errors that it would be more simple to update the DBIC classes manually.
> I've just tried create_ddl_dir again to see if it works better now, but I
> needed to make more tens of corrections for a database with only 10 simple
> tables.

This approach *is* best practice and it *does* work fine for SQLite, MySQL
and Postgres at least.

If you need to make tens of corrections, one of two things is happening:

(1) you've found a bug and should have reported it but didn't

(2) you did something wrong

Either way, please get on the dbix-class list and report what code you have
and we can tell you which it is.

->deploy *is* best practice, it *does* work and it's going to be marked
non-experimental for 08100.