I've had some very good results with Dojo and Catalyst for AJAX. A couple of components in our app show this exceptionally - a table of contents based on a folding tree, and a grid backed by an SQL query, using to display filtered search results in different sort orders, etc. The grid will automatically request rows as it needs to, through a JSON-writing TT file, based on the built-in Dojo QueryReadStore - most of Dojo can use data stores that are backed in this way, and these can draw from most any request. Sorting was also more or less built-in.

The folding tree was harder, as we were stuck with a legacy XML format from the old Microsoft MSDN site. This was implemented by a view that generated JSON from the legacy XML. Both worked well for us, and allowed us to develop rich front-end behaviour while hiding all the awful parts that we wanted to abstract away from.

Dojo is weak in documentation compared to some, but rapidly improving. However, the main documentation site is pretty full of examples. Neither of these parts of the system ended up taking more than a couple of days to develop. If you stick close to the out of box functionality, all is fairly easy - if you want to develop your own widgets or data stores, it can get harder. Certainly, Catalyst made developing AJAX functionality in Dojo simpler and quicker than I had expected.

All the best
Stuart

Neo [GC] wrote:
Hi,

depends on the javascript-lib you are using for AJAX. Catalyst just builds a template, which is interpreted clientside by the AJAX-lib. This might be XML, JSON, plain HTML or $something. For the webserver / Catalyst, the requests look like any other normal HTTP-request.

Greets,
Thomas Weber

kakim...@tpg.com.au schrieb:
hello there,

 I would like to use AJAX in my catalyst app. Any good references/tutes
to recommend?

thanks.

K. akimoto

Click here to report this message as spam. http://antispam.infobal.com/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=8026A27FE8.9BC7B