Ben Vinnerd wrote:
On 18/06/09 08:51, Tomas Doran wrote:
At a guess, you deleted your Makefile.PL?

Yes :O

I didn't really want to bother with make on my webapp, so deleted that along with Changes and README.

Yeah, that'd get you.

The lines in the generated Makefile.PL which say:

# IMPORTANT: if you delete this file your app will not work as
# expected.  You have been warned.

Are, actually, not lies.

Catalyst uses the presence of a Makefile.PL to work out if your application has actually been installed, or if it is just running from a checkout.

I totally see the 'I will never install' point of make being unneeded, but I personally like the possibility that I may one day run my apps somewhere other than my laptop (or, maybe I'll even buy a less crappy laptop). So keeping the dependencies in Makefile.PL up to date is a very worthwhile exercise; you can then just copy your app to another machine and say 'make installdeps', rather than suffer half an hour's frustration trying to start your app and failing.

Cheers
t0m