On 8 Dec 2009, at 05:34, Jonathan Rockway wrote:
Sorry to dig up a very old thread, but I am very behind on email and
wanted to comment :)

No problem. Your insight as to why things are they way they are is useful :)

I was shocked to discover this! Any code that uses bytes::length
is automatically broken.

FWIW, we did this so that people not using Catalyst::Plugin::Unicode but
that had a Unicode string in memory would get something resembling the
correct result.

When you said 'we did this', I looked at the blame history, and that code had been there since at or before 5.50.

Did you mean 'it was done like this', 'it was explained to me to be this way because', or 'we made a conscious decision to keep it this way because'?

Sorry for the pedantry, but I just 'fixed' this, so I'd like to clearly establish what grounds on which this may be considered a bad move :)

Cheers
t0m