Update:

The issue I'm seeing lies with Catalyst-Engine-Apache, which has not seen updates since Feb 2008. Since that time, Catalyst::Request has added remote_user() to its API with the expectation that the various engines would use that over the deprecated user() method. This leads to a code path where $c->req->can('remote_user') will eval true, but always return 'undef' under the Apache engine, which is exactly what's going on with the Remote authN credential module.

So, I've opened bugs under C::E::Apache with patch files that fix this issue as well as fix broken tests and minimally bring the code up to date with more current C::Runtime standards.

https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=Catalyst-Engine-Apache

Cheers,
--Trevor

Trevor Leffler wrote: