Is there a canonical (or recommended) way to have my new fastcgi processes'
model(s) connect to their databases on startup (instead of during the first
request?)

I'd like to be able to avoid the extra delay on the first request each fastcgi
process has while it's connecting to the DB. I think it probably belongs in my
Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema class (maybe after BUILD ?)

Or maybe there's a reason why there's not an obvious hook and someone can point
me to the pitfalls I'm not seeing.

Thanks.
--
Daniel J. Luke