Dave Nutter wrote:
> Some neat birds were found Saturday that didn't get posted on Cayugabirds-L
> ...  Neither was a first of year observation nor a bird which is unexpected,
> but both are tough basin birds which few people have seen this year.  Should
> such observations be put on the RBA?
There are hundreds of birders who subscribe to Cayugabirds and
relatively few keep first of year lists, let alone seek to be recognized
as the person who discovered a FOY bird.  A posting of any even slightly
unusual bird has value to us.  What a strange turn of events, that a
list intended to "disseminate information about wild bird sightings in
and around the Finger Lakes Region in a timely manner" might be morphing
into one where only the documentation of first sightings is
unquestionably appropriate.  I personally have no interest whatsoever in
who saw a particular bird first, or if it was the first or second or
whatever seen in the basin this year - I just want to hear about the birds!

                              Alicia Plotkin