Susie & I went up to Lake Ontario today.  We stopped this morning at the
Mucklands, corner of Rts. 31 and 89 to scan for cranes.  We saw none then
but found 3 AMER. GOLDEN PLOVERS in the open field there.

On our return thru MNWR late this afternoon, we found 7 adult SANDHILL
CRANES in a partially harvested cornfield 200 yds. north of the intersection
of Rt. 89 and Mays Point Rd.  What struck us was the small size of one of
the birds.  It looked to be roughly 6" shorter standing, with the bill
correspondingly smaller (about 2" less in length).   The base color of the
body feathers was a charcoal gray, much darker than the light gray of the
larger birds.  We think this was a LESSER SANDHILL.

Steve & Susie Fast

Brooktondale