Cayuga birders,
This is a bit of a late post, but Tim Lenz and I watched and photographed a
very cool Merlin yesterday morning just south of the Lake Ridge Rd./ Lake
Rd. intersection south of Aurora perched on roadside utility poles and in
flight.  I think that this is the darkest Merlin I've ever seen in the East,
and shows some characters consistent with the Pacific/ Black Merlin
subspecies suckleyi, including the heavy dark helmet, heavily marked
underparts, and especially the dark undersides to the primaries and
secondaries with pale spotting restricted to the outer primary on each wing.
I don't have much experience with these birds and don't know what it is for
sure (other than it most likely hatched from a Merlin egg), but it might be
worth checking out if you are in the area.
Photos:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/bonxie88/
Good birding,
Tom

--