To clarify, the message from Joe & Carol Slattery was about the GENEVA count on
Sunday January 3, with the count week including Thursday 31 Dec through
Wednesday 6 Jan.

Meanwhile the ITHACA count is on Friday, New Year's Day, the first 24 hours of
2010.  Keep track of any unusual birds in the Ithaca area starting midnight
tonight, the start of 29 December until midnight at the end of Monday 4
January.  This can help counters find the birds on count day, and if the birds
are missed on count day they can still be included on count week.  The count
circle is a standard 15 miles in diameter, and I believe it is centered on
Mount Pleasant.  I believe it includes Dryden Lake, the north end of Scofield
Road, just south of Myers Point, some of Sheffield Road, and a bit of lower
Robert Treman Park as a few landmarks.  But hey, any interesting bird in the
area is worth posting about, even if you don't know if it's in the count circle
or even in the Cayuga Lake Basin.
--Dave Nutter