Birded Stewart Park today around midday for an hour or so. There was a fairly
large raft of
waterfowl right next to the ice edge. Most of these ducks were redheads with
some scaup (probably
lessor), and mallards mixed in. Highlight for me were 2 long-tailed ducks amid
all the redheads/scaup.
There was also a lone gadwall that was initially hard to pick out among the
female redheads. Farther
out there were about a dozen or so common goldeneyes and a few common
mergansers. I didn't take
the time to attempt to find any different gulls as there were many of the usual
ring-billed, herring
and great black backed gulls. I did see a gull that was herring-sized with a
somewhat darker
mantle...possibly a lessor black backed gull. It was far out so I did not get a
great look.

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY