Fred (& all),
For many years Kevin McGowan has headed up a team studying crows
in the Ithaca area, both American Crows and Fish Crows.   They are
individually marked not only with the standard US Fish & Wildlife Service
numbered aluminum leg band, but each also a unique combination of
colored leg bands, and for distant individual identification colored plastic
wing tags, each with a unique two-digit code.  The color of the wing tags
is different every year.  Since most birds are banded by climbing to treetop
nests when the young are too small to bail out, the color of the wing tags
generally indicates the year the bird was hatched.  Kevin also manages to
trap some adult birds, but this is tricky because they are smart and wary.
You can also ask Kevin's son Jay about the project as he has worked on it
as well.  Here's a link to a site by Kevin McGowan about his work with crows:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/crows/crowinfo.htm
Why am I answering when it's Kevin's turf?  I think it is so cool!  This is an
excuse to tell how, years ago, I saw 3 crows with light blue wing tags on a
lawn by the (old) airport.  I took down their 2-digit codes and called Kevin.
He
told me, "Those crows were nestmates.  They have never been seen more than
a quarter mile away from the nest they were hatched in last year, and this
year they are helping their parents raise their new siblings."  This opened my
mind to viewing birds, especially crows, not just as anonymous (and in the
case of crows, sometimes annoying) members of a species, but as individual
social creatures with fascinating personal histories.  Now whenever I see a
group of half-a-dozen crows together, I think "family."  Kevin, I believe was
the
first to demonstrate that American Crows employ such "helpers at the nest."
--Dave Nutter