Frritzie (& all),
That sounds like a bird I've seen several times at Union Springs,
Myers Point and Stewart Park.  It looks to me like a leucistic
female Mallard.  I don't know whether it has some recent domestic
heritage or is just a sport.  I'm no expert on the subject, but offhand
I didn't  notice any pattern or color or shape to indicate it's a hybrid.
Still, knowing Mallards, a hybrid is always a possibility with an odd
duck.
Sorry not to have answered the phone.  I'm in Canada with the Cayuga
Bird Club overnight field trip to Amherst Island.  So far we've seen
Snowy, Short-eared, Barred, Northern Saw-whet, and Boreal Owls.
--Dave Nutter

On Saturday, February 06, 2010, at 01:56PM, "John and Fritzie Blizzard"