Today I was in Union Springs about 2:00 on my way to give a couple of piano
lessons and I swung by the Mill Pond on Rte 90. A group of Mallards had
collected in the NE corner of the pond, and the light was just right to turn
the heads on all of them a lovely deep blue, some of them a purple blue, with
no hint of green on any of them--a beautiful combination with their yellow
bills. Like a photograph that had the one color altered. On my return trip a
male in the company of a female in the middle of the pond was bobbing his head
in a courtship display.

I did not have time to scope out (with bins) the hundreds of waterfowl on the
edge of the ice down on the lake, but it looked like it could be interesting.

Lots of Robins around the past few days. Have heard them making various calls
and squawks but not singing yet. Have not heard any Cardinals singing yet
either. Am enjoying a flock of Horned Larks that moved into my neighborhood in
the past ten days after being so scarce all winter. Also seeing a few Snow
Buntings on Skillet Road when I go to Auburn from the south. Neighborhood
Kestrels and Red-tailed Hawks and Mockingbirds are good company as well, and
the Great-horned Owls can be heard most nights.

Kathy Strickland

Union Springs area