Before recording a first record for the year for the basin, I try to remember
check eBird in case someone has quietly submitted a record earlier.  When
I saw that there were no other NY records yet, nor PA, nor CN, nor MA, nor OH,
nor MD, nor VA, and the nearest Purple Martin record was from Cape May NJ just
today, and the next nearest from NC, I began to wonder what was going on.   Now
I wonder whether those NJ records were decoys.  Another thing to beware of is
that
some folks play Purple Martin sounds along with their decoys in a multimedia
attempt
to lure them to use a new martin house.  This was tried at the Lab of O last
year.
--Dave Nutter
On Wednesday, March 17, 2010, at 05:01PM, "Joe & Carol Slattery"