Yeah, sure, but every bird that scratches in the air scratches directly, or
else they'd crash.   ;^)  Seriously.  I think I've seen crows scratch in
flight, and it was direct.

When I was studying Florida Scrub-Jay fledglings I watched a very young one try
several times to put its wing down and scratch over the wing, but it kept
losing its balance.  Finally it scratched directly.  After that age they all
scratched indirectly.

Some of you may not be surprised, but Jay and I used to have a "scratching"
photo list.  I don't know what he's added lately, but I've got over 90 species
documented.

I don't believe that there is a master list of scratching methods, although the
EthoSource web site is trying to get that kind of stuff online.  I do remember
a paper on wood-warbler (Parulidae) scratching by Jed Burtt.  Oddly the family
was mixed.  Most other families are pretty constant.

Quickly, here are some generalizations from my observations.

Direct scratching
Waterfowl
Chickens (small  sample size)
Pelicans and cormorants
Herons
Ibis
Hawks
Falcons
Rails (at least moorhen)
Sandpipers
Gulls
Terns
Doves
Owls
Woodpeckers

Indirect scratching
Plovers
Stilts
Flycatchers
Cotingas (White-browed Purpletuft, at least)
Corvids
Swallows
Thrushes
Pipits
Waxwings
Most(?) warblers (all I've seen so far)
Bunting/sparrows
Cardinalids (including North American 'tanagers')
Blackbirds
Fringillid finches
House Sparrow

What have you seen?