This morning I was at Myer's Point from about 6:45 AM. It was very un-birdy,
with no migrants evident on the light north winds. The most interesting bird
was a basic-plumaged RED-THROATED LOON that I first saw very far to the north
along the east shore (and difficult to i.d. At 60X) - it was swimming very
determinedly out towards the middle of the lake; I then lost it for awhile,
when it appeared right off the point, still swimming south; then I lost it
again, and later spotted it from Lagoda, still swimming south down the middle
of the lake. It never paused or dove, but I got a few decent photos when it was
close by.

Other semi-interesting birds were a pair of N. ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS, a pair of
RED-BREASTED MERGANSERS that flew in from the south, a single SAVANNAH SPARROW
that appeared out of nowhere, a singing N. MOCKINGBIRD from Salt Point, and
displaying TURKEYS and singing FIELD SPARROWs on Drake Rd.

At lunchtime today, Tom Schulenberg and I saw 2 circling BROAD-WINGED HAWKS
over the Lab of Ornithology, plus a N. HARRIER flying low towards the airport.
Yesterday afternoon, I saw 2 RUSTY BLACKBIRDS feeding silently in the wet leaf
litter at the back edge of the Sapsucker Woods pond - also a silent
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER and a female HOODED MERGANSER.

Finally, a singing RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET was in my yard yesterday and this
morning.

KEN
Ken Rosenberg
Director of Conservation Science