Aside from an occasional (and easily dissuaded) N. Flicker, I find Y-B Sapsuckers the only woodpecker with an apparent preference for the metallic resonance of building gutters and downspouts, testing and then rejecting perfectly good natural opportunities nearby (good enough for the downies, hairies and red-bellies, anyway). Their persistence is admirable, I guess...but not so much at 5 AM.

I wonder if having more than one breeding male in the area results in the kind of one-upmanship, where in a fit of trial and error one bird eventually hits upon the loudest possible drumming place--more often metallic than not--and sticks with it. The question for me is why other woodpeckers in the territory don't do the same?
Eben McLane