Hi,
I couldn't quite wait for it to get light today, so I started birding
a bit earlier than normal.  I listened in various places around the
Ithaca area from midnight to 4:15 AM with lots of cool birds migrating
over.  At midnight from Mt. Pleasant there were about 8-10 birds per
minute going across the face of the moon, though the calling rate
seemed to be fairly low for the number of birds in the air.  I did
hear several Virginia Rails, Sora, American Bittern, Spotted and
Solitary Sandpipers, Wilson's Snipe, American Woodcock, both cuckoos
(8 total, mostly Yellow-billed - surprisingly high number for May 1),
and a variety of sparrows (mostly Savannah, Chipipng, White-throated)
and warblers (with many unidentified).  I saw several thrushes go
across the face of the moon, but only heard one thrush flight call all
night/ morning (a Hermit).  It will be neat to read about what the
nocturnal recordists in the area detected, and of course, what is on
the ground when the sun comes up!

--
Thomas Brodie Johnson
Ithaca, NY