Unbelievably, I was awakened at midnight by the calling of a Saw-whet Owl right
outside the open bedroom window.  It went on about 20 times, in slowly measured
toots of equal length and spacing, then took a break and tooted some more.  The
sound was so close that I sensed the breathiness, very much like a toy wooden
train whistle my kids had, with multiple notes in a chord, puffed with air.  I
had never heard this in person before, but have reviewed a couple of recordings
this morning and am sure.  But isn't this an odd time to hear one?  This
morning I went out and studied the dense blue spruce trees near the window, but
couldn't see if anyone was hiding there.

What a spine-tingling thrill, even if it sounds crazy!

Nancy Dickinson
Mecklenburg

Make a little birdhouse in your soul.