In hopes that the severe weather might have downed some birds, I went to Myers
Park on Sunday morning.  I found no extreme birds, but I did find extreme
birder Jay McGowan, some COMMON TERNS, a SNOW GOOSE (smaller than Canada Geese,
typical structure and grin patch -- not a white domestic goose), an ORCHARD
ORIOLE singing near the entrance, and a SCARLET TANAGER in the trees around the
private marina.  I missed a BRANT that Jay found north of the spit.

Then I joined a public walk led by Linda Orkin in Sapsucker Woods.  We found
quite a nice variety of birds on the Wilson Trail, mostly in a loose mixed
flock by the lone bench south of the Sherwood Platform, during a brief
appearance by the sun.  (The east-facing edge here is perhaps the best of
several excellent spots in Sapsucker Woods for finding concentrations of
insectivorous birds on cold but sunlit mornings.)   This flock included
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER and BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER perched in the same binocular
view and offering a nice comparison of songs; MAGNOLIA WARBLER; CHESTNUT-SIDED
WARBLER, BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER (2 males), AMERICAN REDSTART, NASHVILLE WARBLER,
CANADA WARBLER, NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH, and BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, plus a few
Yellow Warblers and many Yellow-rumped Warblers.  I also saw a PALM WARBLER
before the first fork in the Wilson Trail North and heard a EASTERN WOOD-PEWEE
singing somewhere near the sharp bend after the small footbridge.

Even aside from the warblers, a visit to Sapsucker Woods is plenty enjoyable
just for the sight of Great Blue Herons on their nests and the noisy spectacle
of Baltimore Orioles everywhere gathering nest material and defending
territories.

Mark Chao