Most of the migrants in Sapsucker Woods on Thursday morning seemed to be in the woods, especially on the northeastern stretch of the Hoyt-Pileated Trail. A prodigious mixed flock here included at least a half-dozen BLACKBURNIAN WARBLERS, a BAY-BREASTED WARBLER (probable -- heard only), CHESTNUT-SIDED WARBLER, two or more BLACK-THROATED BLUE WARBLERS, BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER, many YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, two AMERICAN REDSTARTS (clearly migrants), two NORTHERN PARULAS, a couple of NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES, and OVENBIRDS, as well as a couple of non-territorial male SCARLET TANAGERS foraging low in close proximity with each other. As excellent as this flock was, I got most fired up by a WINTER WREN singing repeatedly by the egg cairn.

I happened upon this flock at the beginning of my visit. I therefore had very high hopes when the sun came out and I arrived at the Wilson Trail North with Tom Hoebbel. Alas, we found very few birds at the wooded edge, except for a long-tailed bird in the treetops that I am pretty sure was a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO, and singing CANADA WARBLER and Black-throated Blue Warbler between the Sherwood Platform and the lone bench. Back in the woods, now with Alicia Plotkin, we found a few more migrants -- another parula, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, more Yellow-rumped Warblers, and a SWAINSON'S THRUSH.

Alicia and I headed back to the Lab via the Podell Boardwalk as Tom went to the East Trail to look for that warbler flock. Right after we parted, we heard four full series of hoots from a BARRED OWL somewhere in the direction of the road. Maybe Tom can confirm whether this was a real bird or a person making mischief. If it was a person, he or she really does a great impression of the species.

Mark Chao

Location:     Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology
Observation date:     5/13/10
Number of species:     58

Canada Goose     4
Wood Duck     1