While on a walk, my wife spotted an adult male Pileated Woodpecker slightly off roadway near intersection. He had his head tucked back as though attempting to sleep. There was no apparent external damage. I'm guessing that it was flying low and was struck by a moving vehicle. I took bird to local WBU who then contacted area wildlife rehabilitator and transported bird.

_*NOTE*_: Bird appeared disoriented and made no attempt to fly. One eye looked normal but the other gave the appearance of bird being groggy. It is very likely that bird had suffered internal injuries. WBU person filled water bottle with warm water to place next to bird during transport to help maintain body temperature and to minimize shock. It is unclear how long bird had been along roadway. Prognosis at this time does not seem optimistic.

Stephen R Hill
Johnson City, NY