I spent yesterday evening and this morning exploring the north end of the basin. Here are the highlights:

MNWR wildlife drive: even though the Seneca river is still quite high, there was a single SOLITARY SANDPIPER holding its ground in the traditional "solitary spot" at the beginning of the drive. There was another Solitary in Crusoe Flats on Rt 89 just before the MAC.

Knox-Marcellus has high water but a narrow strip of mud flats along the western edge held the WILSON'S PHALAROPE, several SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, and two WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS.

The cattail marsh at Railroad Road has been devastated by muskrats. In what remains I heard a LEAST BITTERN giving its urrrr (or cooing) call, several VIRGINIA RAILS, and a single SORA.

Marten's tract held several calling VIRGINIA RAILS, a SORA, and calling AMERICAN BITTERN. At least three BARRED OWLS were heard calling at dawn.

Just around the corner, there was a singing MOURNING WARBLER in the Nature Conservancy preserve on Carncross Road.

Howland Island was alive with numerous AMERICAN REDSTARTS, YELLOW, YELLOW-RUMPED, and MAGNOLIA WARBLERS, COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, and at least a dozen singing CERULEAN WARBLERS. As well as BLACK-AND-WHITE and BLACKPOLE WARBLERS. I ran into Frank Morlock who reported having just seen a BARRED OWL family, cuckoos at the SW corner, and several CANADA WARBLERS at the north end.

Bob McGuire