Thought you would all like to know that LaRue St. Clair found 2 Ruddy
Turnstones and one Hudsonian Godwit from the towpath road this morning.  I
talked to him and he said they were along the first impoundment about a third
of the way in the towpath.  I looked at 1:00 pm and did not see them.  It was
hot, the road is in terrible condition and you can't see in from very many
spots.  We (Bob and I) did find the nice assortment of ducks LaRue also
reported:  Gadwall, American Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, 1 Blue-winged Teal and
of course many Wood Ducks and Mallards.  We all saw two Sandhill Cranes from
East Road; they are very easy to spot.
     The auto loop drive has changed.  You now drive till the photo blind
turnoff and turn around and come back.  The drive past the blind area is
blocked off.  On the shorten drive today Bob and I saw 3 adult Spotted
Sandpipers and 4 chicks.  The chicks were tiny and very cute when they bobbed
just like the adults.  They would have made a wonderful video but they weren't
close enough for that.
     At the Visitors Center early: 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Killdeer and 2
Semipalmated Sandpipers. The Hummingbird feeder has been filled so
Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Cerulean Warblers still calling.  A Cedar Waxwing
nest in one of the trees along the entrance road.
     Lots of birds at South Spring Pool.  We followed a couple Black-billed
Cuckoos along the path. Also Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and Green Heron  here and
many more.
I hope you have better luck finding the godwit than I have had,
Leona Lauster
Lyons, NY