It is always intriguing to me how many birds are moving around during this
mid-summer period. In the last few days I have had some interesting birds in
and over my suburban yard - indicating both early fall migration and birds most
likely moving around between first and second broods.

On Friday (23rd), a "witting" LEAST FLYCATCHER was most likely a migrant; also
a calling ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK (does not breed in the neighborhood), and a
one-evening only CAROLINA WREN passing through. On Sunday evening, a SOLITARY
SANDPIPER flew over, calling. This evening, a SCARLET TANAGER sang briefly
(first I've had in the yard this year), and a golden BOBOLINK flew over at
sunset, heading north.

Also, at Myer's Point Saturday and this morning, up to 30 PURPLE MARTINS (high
count by Jay McGowan) have been in evidence, perching on snags on Salt Point
and on boat masts and wires around the marina. Six juvenile SPOTTED SANDPIPERS
on Saturday are the only shorebirds I've seen there so far.

KEN
Ken Rosenberg
Director of Conservation Science
Cornell Lab of Ornithology